“I was hungry and you gave me something to eat.”
Our Daily Bread is a hot meal program run through Catholic Charities that serves more than a quarter of a million meals to the hungry of Baltimore City each year. The casserole program is the backbone of this hot meal program. People from all around Baltimore contribute each month to help make this happen. St. Jane Frances de Chantal Parish provides casseroles to Our Daily Bread on the fifth (5th) Friday and the fifth (5th) Monday of the months when they occur.
Making a casserole for Our Daily Bread is easy and inexpensive. It can also be fun and a teaching experience in the Corporal Works of Mercy when you involve your children. Each casserole will serve approximately 6–8 hungry people.
Here’s how it works:
- Pick up a FREE casserole pan (or more) with recipe at the doors of the church.
- Make the casserole(s) according to the Hot Dogs and Beans recipe included.
- FREEZE the casserole and then bring to the parish office during regular business hours, 9am to 4pm, Monday through Friday.
Our goal is 200 casseroles. Thank you for your generous support!
Want to do more? Join Our Daily Bread Ministry at St. Jane
There are about 15 people here at St. Jane Frances who do help collect the casseroles and get them to Baltimore each month. When asked why they do this, a few responded.
“I started doing it hoping to help make this world a better place to live for all. I get self-satisfaction realizing that I have at least tried.”
“It makes me feel good, and Jesus would want me to do this.”
If you would like to know more about helping, contact us at the office so we can pass your information on to this committee.
Hotdogs & Beans Casserole Recipe (1 tray)
- 3 lbs. of hotdogs (all beef)
- 3 – 16 oz. cans of baked beans
- 2 – 10 oz. cans of tomato soup
- 1.5 TBSP – chili powder
- 1 TBSP – mustard
- 1 TBSP – brown sugar
- 1 tsp – garlic
Drain beans. Cut hotdogs into bite size pieces and mix all ingredients together.
Do not bake!!!
Please cover casserole with aluminum foil (not plastic). Please mark on casserole with a magic marker (not masking tape) with “St. Jane Frances, Hot Dogs & Beans,” and date.
Drop off at St. Jane Frances Parish Office weekdays from 9:00am to 4:00pm.Volunteers make the delivery to Our Daily Bread. We thank you for your generosity in helping those less fortunate than ourselves!
To make 5 casserole trays:
- 15 lbs. of beef hot dogs
- 240 oz. baked beans (two 117 oz. cans)
- 100 oz. tomato soup (four 23.2 oz. cans OR two 50 oz. cans)
- 7.5 TBSP of chili powder (0.5 cups)
- 5 TBSP yellow mustard (1/3 cup)
- 5 TBSP brown sugar (1/3 cup)
- 5 TSP garlic powder (1/8 cup)
To make 10 casserole trays:
- 30 lbs. of hotdogs (all beef)
- 480 oz. baked beans (four of the big 117 oz. cans)
- 200 oz. tomato soup (nine 23.2 oz. cans OR four 50 oz. cans)
- 15 TBSP of chili powder (0.92 cups)
- 10 TBSP yellow mustard (2/3 cup)
- 10 TBSP brown sugar (2/3 cup)
- 10 TSP garlic powder (1/4 cup)